Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
gmac

Idea for my mega tree

I purchased a kit to build a 20ft tree from CLS, but Instead of using 4 crossed pipes for the base I would like to get a post hole auger and dig down 3-4 ft, Insert a metal pipe sleeve in concrete (that would accept my 2" Galvinized pole) with a threaded top to put a screw cap on to keep it covered for the summer months and have it a few inches below the lawn so the mower wouldn't hit it! LOL So when i start to set up my display all I have to do is take off the cap and drop the pole into it. I think maybe it would be more sturdy if heaver winds blow ( I also plan to guy wire It)

I'm new at this and would appreciate any input. Maybe some of you have allready done this but I didn't see any past threads

Thanx, Gene :confused:

Edited by gmac
I can't spell

Thats exactly what I di, But I used a 2-1/2 PVC pipe about 3 feet deep. Make sure you cement it well.

I'm not a big fan of permamently setting a mega base for the main reason that what will you do if you want to move it in another location? My tree is about 15' high, uses 1 1/2" pipe. I have a 2" pvc pipe 18" in the ground (no cement - just dirt) which the pole slides into, 3 guys - no issues.

I'm not a big fan of permamently setting a mega base for the main reason that what will you do if you want to move it in another location?

I hace to agree with this as you'll probably want to change things up every couple of years or so

I'm not a big fan of permamently setting a mega base for the main reason that what will you do if you want to move it in another location? My tree is about 15' high, uses 1 1/2" pipe. I have a 2" pvc pipe 18" in the ground (no cement - just dirt) which the pole slides into, 3 guys - no issues.

The way my property is layed out thats the only place is have to put it... Is your 1 1/2 pipe pvc? Do you have any issues of high winds>

Gene

Thats exactly what I di, But I used a 2-1/2 PVC pipe about 3 feet deep. Make sure you cement it well.

Why did you decide on pvc in the ground? Is your pole pvc or metal?

Gene

I cemented a PVC sleeve in the ground as well. If I want to move it, I'll cement another sleeve (which I am doing this year). I really do not have that many locations where I can put it...

After it's cemented in, the PVC really does not do anything but give me nice clean walls for my hole. There is no need for it to have any structural integrity at all...That's what the cement is for (if that makes sense)...

Edited by B_Regal78

This was my first year also. I used a PVC Sleeve. It worked great and I did have some high winds to deal with this passed season. My tree was 15 feet.

wrwooten.

North Carolina:)

This was my first year also. I used a PVC Sleeve. It worked great and I did have some high winds to deal with this passed season. My tree was 15 feet.

wrwooten.

North Carolina:)

Sorry to sound stupid But this is the second time I'm asking this question

Why PVC and not metal?? Is your Pole Pvc or Metal ? Would PVC be Better?

Gene

The way my property is layed out thats the only place is have to put it... Is your 1 1/2 pipe pvc? Do you have any issues of high winds>

Gene

Metal elect conduit -- pvc liner in the groung (2"). In fact I've had the tree two years, and the upcoming year it will be in it's third location.

We had a windy season this year, no issues.

Why did you decide on pvc in the ground? Is your pole pvc or metal?

Gene

PVC isn't going to rust much.

Sorry to sound stupid But this is the second time I'm asking this question

Why PVC and not metal?? Is your Pole Pvc or Metal ? Would PVC be Better?

Gene

The 2" pvc allows for the 1.5" metal conduit to slide inside the pvc with very little slap (play). I used a small wood shim to thighten it up. The guy wires made the top sturdy.

My pole was PVC. As far as Metal vs PVC. PVC was the material I had on hand and It was easy to work with. I did the same as you. I place a cap on it just below the grass layer so I could mow over it. I your metal is not Galvanized it will begin to rust. PVC does rust. And PVC may cost less if you have to buy it.

Your idea is sound.

You have to be careful of a PVC pole. Colder weather with the weight of lights have been known to snap or bend many. There have been a number of posts here that can attest to this. I had a smaller, mini mega with PVC pole, but this was not that tall, just about 10'. Once the lights amount goes up and length goes with it, there is much more weight involved.

the PVC groung sleave was because it was a good fit.

PVC isn't going to rust much.

DUh!! Thanks, I guess sometime I can't see the forest because of the Trees.

everyone that cemented a pvc in the ground, did you use a cap on the bottom side of the pipe and how deep was the concrete and the pipe in it?

As long as you stay under 16-18 ft, PVC will work PROVIDING that you reinforce the core. I have a 1-1/2" PVC pipe for my mega that has a couple fittings in-line for guy wires and other elements that connect to the pole. I placed a piece of 3/4" EMT down the center of the PVC and then filled the entire pipe with spray foam. It is amazing how rigid the system is and most important, only requires one person to erect.

You have to be careful of a PVC pole. Colder weather with the weight of lights have been known to snap or bend many. There have been a number of posts here that can attest to this. I had a smaller, mini mega with PVC pole, but this was not that tall, just about 10'. Once the lights amount goes up and length goes with it, there is much more weight involved.

the PVC groung sleave was because it was a good fit.

everyone that cemented a pvc in the ground, did you use a cap on the bottom side of the pipe and how deep was the concrete and the pipe in it?

Yes I used a cap, but make sure that you have some course gravel on the bottom before you cement it. I drilled a few hole in the bottom cap as well, so any water that got it would drain out, the reason for course gravel on the bottom. I went down about 36 inches and an 8 inch wide hole, tapered bigger at the bottom.

I think when you get down to 36" deep the dirt is pretty compact. At least around here it is.

I purchased a kit to build a 20ft tree from CLS, but Instead of using 4 crossed pipes for the base I would like to get a post hole auger and dig down 3-4 ft, Insert a metal pipe sleeve in concrete (that would accept my 2" Galvinized pole) with a threaded top to put a screw cap on to keep it covered for the summer months and have it a few inches below the lawn so the mower wouldn't hit it! LOL So when i start to set up my display all I have to do is take off the cap and drop the pole into it. I think maybe it would be more sturdy if heaver winds blow ( I also plan to guy wire It)

I'm new at this and would appreciate any input. Maybe some of you have allready done this but I didn't see any past threads

Thanx, Gene :confused:

For whatever it is worth, you might want to check out this thread for a discussion a few of us Ohioans recently had on securing mega-trees (changes to that topic at post #4). And as you remember, we had a major wind storm earlier this winter, and no problems on my end. I would think that unless you are eventually planning for a tree well over 25', that this approach discussed is excellent--and even then if a lot taller, it still mostly comes down to guy wires.)

Has anyone used the Army surplus fiberglass poles that they sell on ebay? They come in 4 foot sections with reinforced connections. I was thinking of buying some of them to make about a 20' tree (including star). I figured the pole would be sunk a couple feet in the ground and the base would be 1 1/2 to 2 feet above the ground, leaving 16' for the run of lights.

Has anyone used the Army surplus fiberglass poles that they sell on ebay? They come in 4 foot sections with reinforced connections. I was thinking of buying some of them to make about a 20' tree (including star). I figured the pole would be sunk a couple feet in the ground and the base would be 1 1/2 to 2 feet above the ground, leaving 16' for the run of lights.

<bump> Anyone?

%21BbGlYWQ%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqEH-C8EquUNcfBjBKuZHjBmE%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

Edited by plasmata

Thanks for the quick reply Bryan. I was actually thinking of putting guy wires anyway. It gets pretty windy around here. How many light strings did you hang from it?

Edited by plasmata