Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
taybrynn

Anyone using red LEDs for arches ?

I, like many, am looking at the CDI pre-sale prices and thinking about 2010 possibilities.

I noticed that the price for a 100ct 5mm RED is $9 vs. $13 for say warm white. Orange and Yellow are also $9 each, or on the lowest end of the price scale.

I guess fading would be my main concern at 6500' ... but is anyone using RED or some other (less $$) color for their arches instead of white, to save money and/or be unique/original ?

Obvisouly white is a classic color, but since i"m doing R,G,W ... I figure I could go with any of the three and still have a degree of uniformity.

I did White, Red, Green, and Blue arches this year. The Red is one of my favorites.

I've got one video up so far:

The arches start about a minute in.

I have separate Red, Green and White CDI LED arches this year - I'd say they are equal brightness and look great!

Those are all very cool ... about how many strands (per color) (i.e. 100ct x 1 per channel) and channels per arch?

Edited by taybrynn

I used 2 strings of 60 per color per channel. Each arch is seven channels, with the trees in between as the eight. Seven on the arch lets me have a channel at the top middle, and the tree as an eight makes them easier to sequence to music.

I use dual-color red and green arches. The red is the dimmest of all the LED colors I use (I have used blue, gold, cool white, green, red, and seen warm white elsewhere-- all Paul or Travis' good-quality lights). It's not bad, it's just dimmer than the rest.

I used 2 strings of 60 per color per channel. Each arch is seven channels, with the trees in between as the eight. Seven on the arch lets me have a channel at the top middle, and the tree as an eight makes them easier to sequence to music.

Steve,

I think your arches (and sequencing) look great! Can you give a bit more info about them? What brand and size of LED's did you use? Did you wrap one color at a time...... or.......? Based on your description, are you using 128 channels for your arches?

Thanks,

Randy

I did White, Red, Green, and Blue arches this year. The Red is one of my favorites.

I've got one video up so far:

The arches start about a minute in.

That's a fine video Steve!

Hold back and let your audience discover the lights. Growing up in NJ and burned out on Bruce I never thought I would watch a vid with his song. I watched yours several times.

Thanks!

Glenn

Steve,

I think your arches (and sequencing) look great! Can you give a bit more info about them? What brand and size of LED's did you use? Did you wrap one color at a time...... or.......? Based on your description, are you using 128 channels for your arches?

Thanks,

Randy

Thanks!

I used Walmart 60 count 5MM LEDs in Red, Green, and Blue. The whites are regular 100 count minis. I couldn't get a good enough price on warm white, so I went with what I had. I plan to replace them with LEDs eventually, but they seem to look fine mixed in for now.

I wrapped the Red, Blue, and Green at the same time. I then wrapped the white over top of that (since I plan to eventually replace them. Otherwise I would have done all four colors at once.)

Actually the arch/medium tree (I have smaller ones elsewhere, so these can't be mini's) setup is 132 channels. There's a tree on both ends, hence the extra 4 channels. The trees have 4 sets of 100 lights. The Red, Blue, and White are GE brand C5 LEDs, the Green are CDI 2008 replacement LEDs.

Relevant to the original question: I was shooting some videos for my other songs this week, and noticed that in the few places where I have all 4 colors turned on on the arches, and then turn them off, red is the color that seems to linger longest on the eye. It's a neat effect, though it didn't happen on purpose!