Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jeffostroff

Photos of my display destroyed by a wind/rainstorm last night

More reports from the battlefield...

Wow, what a day of frustration and humiliation. First of all, yesterday marked 3 days in a row of rain and high winds, but we must have had some kind of microburst. I heard we had tornado warnings in our area. 5 PM last night, my 18 foot tall snowflake cascade between my palm trees collapsed from unusually high winds. We managed to get it back up and I bolted some of the PVC elbow joints. Then we go to church for our Christmas concert, and while I was gone, a gust of wind knocked over half the items in my display, and look at these photos below of what it did to the giant nutcracker on my Christmas arbor arch. It literally sucked the nutcracker off the arch, tearing it where both joints were screwed to the arch! That ads new meaning to nutcracker! Talk I glued it back together today with Gorilla glue. It's funny, the other nutcracker soldier stood his post, like a true marine! Also, one of my Bellagio fountain poles toppled over, and one of my driveway deer was decapitated.

Talk about losing your head!

christmas-2009-daytime_8.JPG

This guy is really laying down on the job

christmas-2009-daytime_9.JPG

christmas-2009-daytime_10.JPG

Nothing to lose our heads over! I glued it and we'll see tomorrow whether the glue will hold, as it rained again tonight! 4 days in a row.

AWW that is so sad.Sorry you had so much damage.Hope you can repair without too much loss.

BTW your display is 1 of my favorite that I have seen here on PC.

That Sucks. Of course it could not have been a cheap item that gets broken. Now you can use him as a disabled vetran soilder. Give him a purple heart.

Bobby

wowsers.. wind is scary for our displays.. that windstorm is moving our way.. ive been reading forecasts of 50 MPH winds weds here... im hoping it fizzles before it gets here....

every year it seems wind is a nemesis.. and scary because there is no way to control it.. just have to listen to things crashing down and hope for the best the next morning..

that snowflake tower was awesome when I saw the display last year.. one of my favorite parts of your light show...

-Christopher

Can you zip tie them to the back of the stand to keep them from falling over?

Well, I was able to piece Humpty Dumpty back together again. Here's a few shots of the results. Up close it's not pretty, but I used Gorilla glue to piece it back together, what was left of all the shattered pieces. He's bolted to the arbor frame with 2 original bolts it came with, but they are a bit flimsy. Stupid Chinese, if they has used 4 bolts, it would not have wiggled and ripped itself off the frame in the high winds. I may shore this up in the off season. Fromt 10 feet away you really can't tell the difference, so nothing to worry about here. From the street it still looks liek the day I bought it:

christmas-2009-daytime_11.JPG

christmas-2009-daytime_12.JPG

christmas-2009-daytime_13.JPG

Glad you were able to patch it together. You can get some epoxy patch compound at Home Depot to fill those holes in the off-season. Then a little paint and he'll be almost as good as new.

Not that it's much help now, but for next time you (or anyone else) use Gorilla Glue: After about 20 minutes as it starts to expand, you can use paint thinner to wipe off the excess. I usually wipe the excess off twice, once 20 minutes in, then again at 40 minutes.

A quick wipe down while it's drying will save you a good bit or work trying to get all that extra foam off.

That should be easily repairable - once the off season hits, use the epoxy patch (or fiberglass) to patch it up. a dremel with a sanding drum should clean up all of the repairs, and then a little bit of paint and it will look like it was never broken.

I know the feeling, Last night we had a really bad windstorm with gusts over 120km/h, The wind damaged alot of stuff , rearanging alot, I spent alot of time repairing the things today and by the time It came time to light up, one of the controllers kept tripping the GFI

After another 2 1/2 hours of frustrating trouble shooting I finally concluded it was a faulty GFI, I replaced it and the lights came back on