Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
belias21

Credit where credit is due...

I have to pause for a moment and give some serious credit to those of you PC'ers who are in the 100+ channel club. This is my second year animating and I have a mere 32 channels. I feel like I have been working around the clock getting show pieces built, songs sequenced, and extension cords run. Not to mention the time it takes just to plug everything in!

Now, maybe this goes back to my previous thread about doing this alone or with help (http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=36913), but I just don't know how anyone can accomplish setting up a 176 channel show! My hat is off to you folks...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, and I can't wait til some videos are posted - I love watching everyone's work!

Brian

I hear ya brother! I went from 32 channels (2x1602W) to 224 channels (2x1602W, 1xLynxFreeStyle, 4xRenard16) this year and added several new elements, not just additional colors so it's been... fun... :rolleyes:

But the end result will hopefully be worth it!

Brian

It is a lot of work with any number of channels. My first year was 56 channels and then the next year i jumped to over 300 channels. The following years were well over 400 each.

I planned a lot for this year and made a huge jump.....only the opposite direction... I went from over 400 channels to 40. Yes thats right. Due to surgery (triple bypass) I had to slow down just a little.

What this hobby is about is doing what you can for your display. Remember you have to enjoy it first.

Here are several tips for anyone that has a display, static or animated, 8 or 800 channels.

1. Its your display have fun doing it.

2. No one but you will know if you didn't get something out.

3. Plan your display out.

A. Lights

B. Power and cords

C. Your ideas and thoughts

D. Compare everything you can imagine to what you can afford.

4.Do what you can, don't worry about what someone else has. Just be you.

These are just a few but they are good ones.

Anthony

What this hobby is about is doing what you can for your display. Remember you have to enjoy it first.

This is such a good point. I guess if it ever gets to the point where I don't want to lay eyes on another set of lights, then it will be time to give it up. I still enjoy every minute of it and look forward to getting out there and tinkering.

It is also rewarding when neighbors drive by while you're still setting up and say "Hey, love what you did last year- can't wait to see what you've got cooked up this time."

It is also rewarding when neighbors drive by while you're still setting up and say "Hey, love what you did last year- can't wait to see what you've got cooked up this time."

Static or animated, this is still a great compliment.

Or, in a conversation with a stranger at a store - "oh, that's your house? Awesome lights!"

Or if you are watching one of your own videos at work and someone walks by and says "that house is cool" and then don't believe you when you say it is yours.

Or if you are watching one of your own videos at work and someone walks by and says "that house is cool" and then don't believe you when you say it is yours.

I have had people ask me if I have seen that house in the area with all the lights. I usually just smile and say yes.

To anybody looking to make the jump in channels, the easiest thing to do, is to work on it year round. By mid january we have our complete layout for the following year done, and start synching as soon as the lights come down. When august rolls around and you have 7-10 songs done the stress levels drop fast

bob

I completely agree Bob. With this year as an exception, I try to have the majority of my sequencing finished by July-August. Get that out of the way-tweaking aside, and it's full out on set up.

Of course I wish I could be done that early in the year but I also do a Hallloween show so I have to sequence twice as many songs as I would for just 1 holiday. And still only manage 6-8 songs a year working all year long, Well actually Jan through mid Oct. I try to take a break as soon I as start setting up my Halloween display. I am glad I don't have to program Bill's and Robert's displays. Whew!

I have had people ask me if I have seen that house in the area with all the lights. I usually just smile and say yes.

bob

I completely agree Bob. With this year as an exception, I try to have the majority of my sequencing finished by July-August. Get that out of the way-tweaking aside, and it's full out on set up.

I started with 64 channels last year and went to 128 this year. Although I will probably increase that for next year, I certainly won't be doubling it. I did the same thing as Bob and Bill, I started planning and working on it before last year's display was even torn down.

Just a bit off topic, I was getting interviewed by a local reporter who also did a story on my display last year. My display is a big deal around here. She started asking me about national news and national tv shows. When I told her I was pretty much "small potatoes" in the world of animation. She was doubtful so I directed her to Bill and Bob's websites and told her about the upcoming TLC special. Oh MY God was the response!!:)

Edited by cozzi

I started with 12 channels home made and jumped in like a duck on a june bug and went to 224. Its been a year and half job but Iam hopeful it goes over. The biggest facter in all of this has been the help and support of people like BillyV, basis21b, Ricky Parker and all the others here at PC and Light-O-Rama site that has help me get it done. NOTHING I have done has not been without there help. THANK YOU, roger and mary