Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
thebaronn

Please help me with angry YouTube members!

Hello!

I was invited to join another forum that was Halloween based and enter their contest. (they like last year's Halloween show) So I did and it was the biggest mistake ever! I have left one comment on the video (it was mild compared to others) that I responded to. Before I joined I had a 5.0 star rating after 11 ratings and had just crossed the 900 view mark. I joined 2 days ago and now I am at 2.8 stars and only 90 more views???

I should have saved the nasty emails and comments I received, but I really dont need that negativity. Apparently I am hated because I put on a "show" and not a "haunt" (I want kids to want to come to my house, not have nightmares). I didn't know there was such animosity between Christmas Light People and Halloween People??? WOW!

I am asking for a little help in the rating department. Please watch it and rate it. And maybe leave a comment or two.

Hopefully you like it enough for a good rating.......and I hope this doesn't backfire!

Thank you all for your support!

Eric

I'm confused-- I only saw one negative comment? Did you remove the rest?

Don't let the naysayers get you down, I'm sure the kids loved it.

Yes I removed them but some people took the time to send me a private YouTube message!! Seriously???

I would say "what nothing better to do?" but look what I spend my time doing!!!

Just feeling a little "ugh" right now. I have had negative comments before but never so many so fast.

That's so stupid....but the Halloween people are die hards for scary and gory...if you don't do that then you don't fit in...

I loved your show and I rated it awesome because it is awesome!

Okay, this is all new to me. I created a You Tube account. I posted a positive comment. It didn't seem to show so I posted a second one. I couldn't seem to figure out how to give it a numeric rating. About the the best I can say is: I tried. Hope some of my effort helps. Others, more skilled than I, can probably help you more.

We CA folks need to stick together - gave your video a boost. Even if someone felt it wasn't the correct theme - at a minimum you get an A for effort and execution - awesome stuff!

Ok you got my 5 stars.

I think its great especially for the little ones that these scare and gore guys forget about

It takes a while for your comments to post...

To rate...look under the video at the red stars and click on the number of stars you want to rate it...

Took me sometime to figure it out too...:121_reindeer:

"Apparently I am hated because I put on a "show" and not a "haunt" (I want kids to want to come to my house, not have nightmares). I didn't know there was such animosity between Christmas Light People and Halloween People???

I have discovered that attitude from Halloween people as well maybe not as extreme as you did but it is still apparent.

The show vs haunt....I too noticed that too, but we have a similar terminology thing here on PC.

Christmas vs Xmas...

Some people here get down right upset over this here on PC about this.

I think this can be handled much better than flying off the handle like some people do. I think a simple explanation, and request, would go a lot further than some of the rant's I've seen here..

Sorry...off in the weeds a bit here:p

Great job on the Halloween show. I too, do both Halloween & Christmas shows. My only goal is to make people smile. I can't say that I've seen your Christmas show but, you Halloween show made me smile. Thank you for that!:)

Yeah I say anyone complains about that, they are crazy. That was awesome. I really liked the ships. I agree with doing the show for the kids too. That is what it's all about. If you want gory, go to a haunted house.

Shiver me timbers. Arrrr, I watched and ye got me 5 stars because ye display/show deserved it. The animated actors were too cool.

You have raised the bar my friend.

Guest Jeff_Womack

Unfortunatley Toymaker is correct but not just about Xmas and Christmas but worse off with static vs. synched. Too many people in this hobby think that a display has to have hundreds of channels of <insert controller name>. Build a display YOU like and don't worry about what other say. I liked yours by the way.

Static vs animated. LOR vs D-Lights. Haunts vs Halloween shows. What does it really matter? The common enemy is blowmolds!

Just kidding :giggle:

I like iresq response "Static vs animated. LOR vs D-Lights. Haunts vs Halloween shows. What does it really matter? " ( I shortened it!)

What does it matter, do what you like!

Wow!!! I worked grave Last night when i posted! I was wisked away with no sleep this morning to take my son to see Santa and I'm in line now! I checked Planet Christmas and YouTube and saw the response and I am all teary eyed right now. (just because I'm tired of course) thank you all for the positive support, I really needed it right about now!

The website was www.homehauntersassociation.com (I received an email invite) I only posted a hello on the forums there. I also belong to www.halloweenforum.com (for a couple of years) and even if people dislike it, no one is negative, all positive. I think I have even turned some people on to synchronized light!!

Once again, thank you all!!

Now if only I could get that kind of help with putting my lights up!!

Thank you

Eric

After viewing it last night, I left a comment here but forgot to on YouTube. I've corrected this oversight now. Cant believe there are people so cruel as to tear down a display over their idea of content. It would be as if I would say Richard H's display was crap because it didn't have a huge Nativity scene and a Santa display.

Some people really need to grow up, and appreciate great, unique work when they see it. If they want to do a scary, gory Halloween 'haunt', then so be it-- I can appreciate those at times myself. But that doesn't make your method 'wrong'. I'd hate to think what they'd think of some of the other Halloween displays PC members do, since yours is right up there with at the top...

Man,

Some people can be picky, rude and just mean spirited. My family thought the show was awesome(We're all fans of Pirates of the Caribbean and anything Disney) and can't wait til next year.

Unlike many people here on the forum, I can and did view his Halloween display in person. We sat in front of his house for a good 15 minutes. If you have young children, to keep little kids(5 and 7 year olds) still for that length of time it has to be something of interest.

I can't wait for his Christmas display and look forward to his effort for Halloween.

John