Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ernie18

I did it!

so initially I was going to go with a static display this year of about 2k-3k lights...

i got playing with light o rama's demo and found a good website with some people who donated their sequences so started playing around with that....

so today i bought the 16 channel light o rama starter package...im so stoked i cant wait to get started hooking it up i already have 900 lights up so im going to have to reshufffle them accordingly for the channel locations...

i mean if i was going to buy one next year might as well get a year of experience under my belt right!?!:santasmileyitty:

ernie

I'm on year 3, and I can't wait to turn the lights on. I remember that first time. It was priceless! I think it took about 2 weeks before they could peel the smile off of my face. Good for you ernie18. I hope it all works out. If you have any problems, let us know. Someone here has an answer to almost every question.

It feels awesome when it arrives and you test it! Personally I am 13 and I saved my money for years so I could do it, I was so happy when it came last week and I have already started putting up lights and I was done sequencing like... A year ago LOL :)

As soon as you see the first show go off, even if its not perfect, you will be just like the rest of us. Building new things to put in your show in the middle of the summer. Dreaming bigger than your power can handle. Building arches that go over, around, and through everything. If you have any questions or need to know how to do or build something, its all hear. Next year you will be in a Santa suit handing out candy Canes. :D

Good luck, for now the real fun begins. Your neighbors will think your crazy. But don't worry about it, we are all insane hear. Just come back to us and we will fix you, to go out and do it again. :giggle:

Congrat's!

After my first LOR purchase, no one ever had to ask me what I wanted for Birthdays and Christmas it was always "POWER CORDS".....

Hee Hee - Welcome to the "Heroin Club"! Let me guess - - in less than a week you'll be wishing you had just a few more channels......like 64 or no - maybe 128 - no wait.........

Another one hooked - - reel him in! ;)

It's a dangerous addition. Last year was my first; I bought the "starter" kit and thought 16 channels would be plenty.

Then on November 3rd last year I realized I needed more to realize my plan, and bought a second controller.

Then in the early (Jan, Feb?) "secret" sale I bought two more controllers

Then in the summer sale I bought two MORE controllers.

Now I wish I had the money to add at least one more for this year, and it's only my second year lighting up with animation!

Good luck!!

2006 was my first year.. and I bought 32 channels.. then before thanksgiving ordered another controller... then by december 10th i ordered another...!..

it was bad ofr me in 2008 because I had to travel for work all christmas season so i didnt get to do a show.,.. but I packed a controller in my jeep and had 16 channels in my hotel room!

so now for 2009 I am 176 channels and 25,000 lights.. im so pumped.. I ran the show last night to test with only 30% of it built and cars already slowed down...

you will find yourself never hearing christmas music the same ever again.. you will always be thinking about the lights.. and when you drive your fingers will be going on the steering wheel or tapping the dashboard....

your friends will all think you have gone totally crazy for hanging up "santa's workshop" signs on your basement door.. for listening to christmas music blasting loud in august in your car....

until they see the first show light up that first night and then they will call you an absolute genius :)

congrats on your first year and have fun!!

-Christopher