Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
RichardH

What do you think of this gadget? - www.nolightmess.com

I had someone pass along this web site to me and wanted to know what I thought about it. I thought I would also most it here to get other peoples reactions and what you think are the pros and cons.

http://www.nolightmess.com/

The Must-Have, powered, Christmas Light Winding and Storage Device. Wind and Store your indoor/outdoor Christmas Lights, Holiday lights, Christmas Decorations, small extension cords, cables and more in seconds.

Video of it in action at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63qURAFdRzg

I have virtually zero tangles with the "ball" method used by many here, and that Logan posted a video of a few years back. It's quick to do, and free :)

Pros: Looks easy to use and convient.

Cons: Looks to hold about 400 to 500 lights. I have 125,000 lights, with 500 lights per spool I would need 250 spools. They look to come in packs of two, at $11.50 per 2.

To store all of my lights would be $1437.50 + shipping and handling (ouch)

I don't understand this need to create all these things that try to prevent tangles and messes. All you have to do is pick a method, and stick with it. All I see is a device that is going to take up valuable storage space.

When I say 'Stick with it', I mean 100% of the time and no exceptions. If you start with the female end, ALWAYS start with the female end. If you wrap hand to elbow (like me), ALWAYS wrap hand to elbow. If you use the ball method ALWAYS use the ball method.

If I wasn't so ugly, I'd take a video of me wrapping some lights and then throwing them around, shaking them up in bins, whatever. I'd unplug the male end from the female and voil

I now swear by the "ball" method for all the minis I use on trees. Yes, it is almost a must when wrapping 100's and 100's of stings on trees.

But I use larger type wire spools like Gary to hold all my strings for house and extension cords. I have not made a winder like Gary, but am using two jacks stands, and pipe, and my wife turning the spool. You can find these spools all the time, around construction sites. Electricians throw them away by the dozen.

Those spools are OK if you just put out about 10 strings........

Last year I tried using a spool (see below) but only got about 48 strings on it so I abandoned that idea.

post-5675-129571157887_thumb.jpg

The reels I use are free at hydraulics companies. They just throw them out!!! I can get 3500 to 4000 lights per spool.

They are also keyed on the ends so they stack nicely!

I'm a baller as well. I have enough storage problems storing a bunch of balls without adding 100 spools to the mix.

For normal people it looks OK. But then we are not normal around here.

This is what I used and I think I was able to get close to 50 strings on them. Of course it would be nice to have a motor attached to wind them.

Simple PVC construction.

I have virtually zero tangles with the "ball" method used by many here, and that Logan posted a video of a few years back. It's quick to do, and free :)

I've never had an issue with this method. (Knock on wood.)

The "ball" method is almost a necessity if you are wrapping trees.

It is a necessity for me. :santasmileyitty:

I use the ball method, then place two light balls into a plastic grocery sack and put them in a box.

This cool little winder would be perfect for people like my dad who has about 1500 lights and likes things stored in a very orderly way

Okay, I'm still a newbie to PC, so what is the "ball method". Is there a post that will show me this high tech system?

I think I can live without the "Store 'em" device. Personally, I bag lights one string per plastic bag; shoving them in however they came off in the Spring; testing them individually in the fall. The bags take little room when the air is compressed. If needed, I then ball them after testing/fixing, but I have little need for this in my decorating.

My setup is pretty much like Garys. I have been doing it that way for a few years now and wouldn't do it any other way. The only thing I do different when I set up is I pull my little dump trailer behind my lawn tractor and set up the spool on a pipe to unroll the lights. Very easy to do and nice having it on the trailer so I can just drive to whatever I am decorating. Like Gary said, you can get them for free at a lot of shops. I just 4 from work a couple weeks ago and I see some more that are close to empty.