Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
TED

Security camera system

DISCLAIMER: I don't own this system. I can't vouch for it. I don't know how well it works. I don't know if this is a "good" price. It appears to be less expensive than some other systems I've seen advertised in the past so I decided to share it. Maybe some of you who know about this stuff can comment on whether it's a good price and more importantly whether it's a good system. (Thanks!)

Security camera system (Q-SEE brand) with 250mb 4 channel digital recorder and 4 color night vision cameras for $299.99.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3810051&sku=Q300-2388

TED

I'll be using that system for the first time this year.

For me in FL, Walmart online has the same system, with cheaper shipping. However, depending on if Tiger Direct has a presence in your state you may not pay tax if you order with them. Check it both ways.

That's actually an awesome price be that you're getting the DVR with it. I own 3 cameras from QSee and they are great. Color, sound and up to 30 feet in the dark. The cameras themselves are around 65 bucks a piece. So this is a great deal.

Chris

Unfortunately, the cameras in the above system do not have sound.

edit: Additional-> it's not very clear on the site, but you get 2 different kinds of cameras with this system. 2 with 'normal' lenses, and 2 with 'wide angle'. If you read the model numbers carefully on the the cameras, you can figure out which is which.

Edited by oldcqr

Okay, now I get why it's so cheap Mike. Makes sense. But I guess, you really don't need the sound if you can get the still of the person stealing your deer in the front yard.

Chris

Okay, now I get why it's so cheap Mike. Makes sense. But I guess, you really don't need the sound if you can get the still of the person stealing your deer in the front yard.

Chris

My old system had 2-way sound. It was cool to stand in the garage with the door closed and eavesdrop on the visitors.:giggle:

I'll probably only use 3 of the 4 cameras of this system for the DVR. I hope I can use the 4th to point back at the house to stream live video to the website (via my video capture card and 'piped' audio from the sequencer).

I think the system looks like and easy way to get started. The DVR will capture 60 fps or 15 fps per camera which is good. The cameras is where I'm skeptical. They look like they will work good during the day, which most do. Performance at night is doubtful unless they are in a well lit area.

I do like the Q-see DVR cards to get started because they are easy to use. My guess is these units would also function the same.

Not to hijack this thread, but I just made a purchase for two security cameras and they are great. They work along the same lines of X10, but a little more advanced. The software is extremely easy to use and I added an external hard drive to capture the video. The software also has a build in text messaging and email system. I set the cameras to "motion" during the day and when they detect motion it will begin recording and send me an email and text message with the image/video it captured. During the show and all night long they will be recording the whole time. The software is fairly advanced too. All and all I am very happy with the cameras.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/video_security_systems/devices/4324&cl=us,en

Not to hijack this thread, but I just made a purchase for two security cameras and they are great.

That's not a hijack at all! The whole point is to share information about what works and were to buy it. I'm glad you added to the discussion.

TED

Hey guys - I actually just ordered this system from TigerDirect today for $299. I don't know how, but they are about $50 cheaper than everyone else on this one. Even walmart.com was asking $429. Anyways, of the 50+ reviews, the majority of them were good. Many of the ones that weren't are people that probably just don't understand that this is a sub-$400 system and you're going to get what you pay for. Personally, I think the DVR alone is worth the price. If the cameras are junk, I can always swap them out in the future.

Once I get it, I'll let everyone know how it is.

The cameras are definitely junk. I have mine out for the first time at night tonight, and they are horrible.

The picture would be fine, if they would white balance properly. I have one that is barely catching the corner of my lamp post: the whole picture is white (adjusting it does no good).

Another is mostly white since the IR LEDs are reflecting off of the sun visor.

I'm looking for new camera's now.....

OK - Update to my previous post...

I originally ordered this system:

http://q-see.com/products/security-product.php?ProductId=92

After discussing it with a co-worker of mine, he did some quick digging and found this one for the same price (although from a different retailer):

http://q-see.com/products/security-product.php?ProductId=199

Seems to be a superior product. The night vision has more range, and the cameras seem a little more robust. Additionally, the DVR is network ready for remote viewing, whereas the original one was not. It also has a larger drive and uses H264 instead of MPEG4 compression.

Anyways, I promptly returned the original one I had ordered (didn't even open the box), and I'll be expecting the new one on Monday (11/2). I will let everyone know my thoughts when I get it.

for security cameras to be of any use to the pllice you really need to have at least 420 TV Lines resolution... 480 is much better.. most cheaper cameras only provide 320 x 240 resolution.. and thats not enough to make an ID of a vandal....

I find that black N white cameras have much better resolution than color ones and are much clearer to see.....

at close range a 320 x 240 camera will do Ok... such as inside a mega tree and the vandal is wrecking the mega tree....

harbor freight sells such cameras that are O.K. for close range....

I also have large bright white spotlights that are motion controlled that turn on when someone enters the yard... typically there is never an issue while the display is running as there are cars in front of the house nearly all the time...

after the display shuts down my spots are activated... granted I already have home automation system so its easy to havethe spots set to only come on after showtime and not during....

im using '9100a' composite to ethernet converters.. they capture from 5-10 frames per second which is enough for most purposes

for software I run a free package called 'zoneminder' that is really incredible for security...

-Christopher

Wanted to follow up now that I have received and installed the system. As a reminder, this is the QSDR44DRTC DVR/Camera combo:

http://q-see.com/products/security-product.php?ProductId=199

Overall, I have been impressed with the system. The DVR is pretty solid - feels sturdy and heavy and runs pretty quietly. The interface via a direct connection to the DVR is pretty cheesy, but functional. If you have it on your LAN, the app that comes with it is a little more user-friendly, although it tends to crash on occasion. Remote viewing over the internet is surprisingly snappy (I'm on 6Mb/256Kb cable connection) and can be through IE, or the installed viewer.

It comes with 2 wide angle and 2 regular cameras, all have 420 lines of resolution and a night vision rating of about 30ft. The daytime video is great - very professional. I would rate the night video as OK. It probably could be better with some higher end hardware, but it is certainly useable, especially if there is some ambient light. I have included 3 pictures - a daytime one, nighttime w/ambient light, and nighttime in pitch blackness. Even the darkest night shot would give me a decent picture if someone were standing at the back door.

I'll be interested to see how it reacts to flashing Christmas lights in the frame...

All in all, I would certainly recommend this system to someone with simple surveillance needs. At $299 (which is all inclusive) you can't beat the price.

I would be happy to answer anyone's questions.

Brian

post-6608-129571165485_thumb.jpg

post-6608-1295711655_thumb.jpg

post-6608-129571165508_thumb.jpg

I'll be interested to see how it reacts to flashing Christmas lights in the frame...

I would be happy to answer anyone's questions.

Brian

Hey Brian,

So have you tried your new system with flashing Christmas lights yet?

Also, how fast did it take to get shipped to your house?

I'm thinking about getting one of these.

Also, one point to bring up. I use night vision cameras in my haunt/santa ride and found out the screw-in black lights help the night vision camera get a better picture at night without a bunch of bright lights. Just a thought.

Thanks,

Tom

Also, one point to bring up. I use night vision cameras in my haunt/santa ride and found out the screw-in black lights help the night vision camera get a better picture at night without a bunch of bright lights. Just a thought.

Thanks,

Tom

I was thinking the same thing - these cameras use IR LEDs to bathe the area with invisible light - why not just find some compatible wave length LEDs to turn on after the show so that it essentially looks like daylight to the camera? Nobody would even see them on and it would be enough for the motion sensing to pick things up better (maybe?).

I won't be putting the lights up until Saturday, so I haven't had a test of flashing Christmas lights yet. As far as the night vision is concerned, I was thinking about the whole IR LED thing too. Never really thought about black lights - I do have a couple incandescent black light floods I could try. That is a good idea.

Also, a couple people have asked me where I got the system. I ordered it from www.tekstation.com. The model number is QSDR44DRTC-320. Only problem is that I no longer see that system on their site. Looks like they replaced it with QSDR44KRTC-320 which is $60 more. Not sure of the difference though.

It is $60 more but it comes with a 1 TB Hard drive at that price if you get the 320 GB its still $299.

Well, that makes sense. The picture looks slightly different than mine, although the specs are pretty much the same.

Hey Brian,

So have you tried your new system with flashing Christmas lights yet?

Also, how fast did it take to get shipped to your house?

Thanks,

Tom

Just realized I forgot to answer this. It took about 5 days for me to get it. Shipped from CA the day after I ordered it and I'm in NC.

I think q-see changed their camera's. I went to order a couple of the $70 camera's that I got 2 months ago and found that they were no longer available. But instead I could get the 'updated' model for $99 and it had less night range and less resolution.

Just realized I forgot to answer this. It took about 5 days for me to get it. Shipped from CA the day after I ordered it and I'm in NC.

Thank you very much.