Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Toymakr000

My Halloween Experiment!

Maybe this vid will give you a couple of ideas. Amazing....

(Any idea what the mixture is for color and length?)

Can't wait to see what you create.

Doug

That has to be a liquid that is spraying out of a laminar nozzle. The colors are just created by different chemicals added to the (flammable fluid) or sprayed into the flame. Remember Chemistry class?:P

Blue Cupric chloride

Red Lithium chloride,Strontium chloride

Green Copper sulfate

Orange Calcium chloride

Purple Potassium chloride

Yellow Sodium chloride

With the exception of copper sulfate, you can not just stop in your local ACE Hardware Store and pick up these compounds; but for those campers, you can make copper sulfate by getting a piece of copper pipe and stuffing a piece of cheap PVC gargen hose inside the pipe. Throw it into the fire for some pretty colors.

Then again, I'm sure that machine is not loaded with scrap copper pipe and cheap PVC hose...

Well I got some video tonight!!!

It OK so far. "I know" My sequence needs a bit of tweaking but I'll get it before Halloween!

I don't have any pumpkins yet:(

Pumpkin Test tomorrow....

Well I got some video tonight!!!

It OK so far. "I know" My sequence needs a bit of tweaking but I'll get it before Halloween!

I don't have any pumpkins yet:(

Pumpkin Test tomorrow....

No good can come from this. Just kidding Gary, you are truly a nutjob and my hero. I just showed your video to my family, and one neighbor!!:)

No good can come from this. Just kidding Gary, you are truly a nutjob and my hero. I just showed your video to my family, and one neighbor!!:)

I totally agree! What will you come up with next?:rolleyes:

"oh wow. Any idea how much propane you will go through? "

I have no idea......:giggle:

I should probably test it huh?

I guess all I have to do throw it on a bathroom scale and run it for awhile....

That was fantastic. Can you get any more elevation on the flames. My kids thought t it would be really cool when you add the pumpkins if you could get the flamse to shoot out 50-75 feet. What do you think?

That has to be a liquid that is spraying out of a laminar nozzle. The colors are just created by different chemicals added to the (flammable fluid) or sprayed into the flame. Remember Chemistry class?:P

Blue Cupric chloride

Red Lithium chloride,Strontium chloride

Green Copper sulfate

Orange Calcium chloride

Purple Potassium chloride

Yellow Sodium chloride

Yup I took chem is HS and college. (Was on of my favorite classes.) I'm how the chemicals were injected into the gas stream. I'd love to see the feeder mechanism. I'm thinking maybe gravity feed into a compressed air stream with a venturi?

Doug

That's pretty cool. Is the "clicking" as loud as it seems on the video? I suppose you could overcome that with some really loud audio on Halloween night...

I do have pretty loud audio on Halloween night! two big house speakers in the windows and the sub woofer on the front porch.:P it should drown out the valves clicking. It is actually not that bad, the sound on the laptop is not very loud.

Ready for another video????

I bought a couple pumpkins today and had the kids design a couple of faces.

i told them not to put too much effort into it. They might not last the night:p

Actually they did!!! They never got warm enough to cook! The leftover pumpkin guts singed a bit but alla in all I think they'll survive Halloween night....

That is way cool. I don't decorate much for Halloween, but if I did . . . now I'm just trying to figure out how to relate cool flames to Santa!

How about the fire in a Nativity scene?