Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Walter and Jackie Monkhouse

JUMP (Jack Up Mega Pole)

The JUMP is a method of jacking up a heavy duty stand alone telescoping pole. The pole can safely and effortlessly lift and support hundreds of pounds of lights or other decorative pieces and is capable of withstanding high wind loads. It has a particular usefulness for the raising of mega trees.

The heart of the JUMP is an inexpensive drop leg jack (3500# rated) that is externally coupled to the telescoping poles allowing the user to crank objects up to 20', 30' and beyond. Once the desired height is reached the jacking mechanism can be easily removed and used to raise other poles. The JUMP is extremely durable presenting a life-time of useability. It is also expandable. A 5,000 light 12' high tree this year can be a 20,000 light 20' high tree next year.

The JUMP can be constructed by anyone with average skills using common everyday hand tools from parts widely available from Home Depot, Lowes, hardware and other supply stores. For instructions, diagrams and photo gallery of the JUMP go to www.MagicChristmas.org , click on NEWS and then click on Build the Monkhouse JUMP.

Walter and Jackie know what they're talking about. They gave a demo at PLUS 2003 that was one of the hilights of the whole event.

very nicely done mega pole

one question though... (isn't there always)

where did you get the drop leg jack?

Saw the JUMP at Light up Ohio this year and it is awesome, Walter and jackie have come up with another winner.

Tony

very nicely done mega pole

one question though... (isn't there always)

where did you get the drop leg jack?

Harbor Freight Item #3961 $35

According to his instruction. Suggested Material List.:P

I attended Light Up Ohio and saw the JUMP first hand. It's a truly amazing but simple answer to doing a Mega tree. I've resisted jumping on the Mega Tree bandwagon, but now I'm hoping to create one using a JUMP (or two). Check out Walter and Jackie's site, its well worth it.:D

I saw Walter and Jackie at Light Up Ohio back in May and was quite impressed with the JUMP pole :) I just finished building mine last weekend and had an idea to make it easier. I've already been in contact with Walter and he's planning on including it in future presentations. :)

On the Portable hole, he'd suggested using stakes, Rebar and electrical tape (you know, that 99 cent a roll stuff <g>) to hold the 2" pipe solid until the concrete set up enough to hold it. I did mine a little differently. I cut a section of 3/4 inch plywood to fit the outside dimensions of the 2x10 form, then nailed it solidly to the form. I then took a 1-1/2 inch pipe flange, a 1-1/2 inch close coupling, a 1-1/2 to 2" reducer, a 6" pice of 2" pipe and a 2" coupling, assembled them in that order and bolted the flange to the plywood in the exact center of the form. That eliminated the need for the posts, rebar and save a couple rolls of that tape :) Turns out that combination allows exactly 1" of the coupling to extent above the concrete, wich is just perfect :)

-Gary-

Hi Walter, Great idea! I wish I wasn't tied to another idea already. Any way while I was trying to wrap your idea around my head (must be dense), I went to harbor freight to check out the jack. I saw the 3961 and also the 47267 jack. Wouldn't this be a better choice as it has twice the travel so you drill half the holes? Brian

47267-0VGA W

Brian- The 28 inch travel referred to is the 14 inches of lift plus the drop leg distance. Both jacks have 14 inches of lift. Your observation has brought up a good point though. The Item 47267 jack is less expensive at $24.99 [on sale now] than the Item 3961 jack at $35.99. The 3961 has parts that are not needed [round swivel mount and pin]. We will tweek the parts and price list to reflect this. Thanks for the discovery. Improvements and suggestions are always welcomed.

That is very clever! Must say I'm impressed. I like the portable hole as well. I'm definitely going to use it in my display this year! Thanks for the designs.

Due to my Mega Tree being bent into a "U" shape yesterday, I need to build a new one. I am very interested in building the JUMP, however I do have a couple of questions.

1. How high does the two stage JUMP go?

2. What are you guys using to anchor the Portable Hole?

Thanks,

The original design is for about 22' high however it can be made to go higher. The portable hole is anchored depending upon the nature of your soil. It is very important to use proper anchoring. I recommend steel or metal stakes driven into the ground a min. of 3 feet deep. Our mega this year has 180 strings of lights, 40 strobes, a star and a specially made heavy duty topper that weights approx. 30 lbs. The whole package we lifted weighed about 200 lbs. and went up with very little effort. If you need additional give me a call---

The extended footprint as built and tested measures 20" out beyond the portable hole base for a total lenght of approx. 5' . The further out you can extend the footprint, the more stable the portable hole will be. Tests indicates that at 6' high it took a pull of over 70 lbs. to start the base and pole to topple. At 12' high it took a pull of 58# to start the base to topple. At 20' high it took 38 lbs. of pull to start the topple. These tests show that the pole and base were just starting to lift an inch or so... and did not completely pull the pole over. Obviously, an extended footprint of over 20" would exceed the tests mentioned above.

If you need more info contact me---

Guest Lightzilla

That cost is $218.00USD but if I was to make it here I wonder what it would cost? $300.00CND for sure, maybe even more.

The issue would be where to find a jack up here where I live like the one you used in the picture?

Good idea that for sure.

The original design is for about 22' high however it can be made to go higher. The portable hole is anchored depending upon the nature of your soil. It is very important to use proper anchoring. I recommend steel or metal stakes driven into the ground a min. of 3 feet deep. Our mega this year has 180 strings of lights, 40 strobes, a star and a specially made heavy duty topper that weights approx. 30 lbs. The whole package we lifted weighed about 200 lbs. and went up with very little effort. If you need additional give me a call---

Thank you for the info. I started building mine on Friday night and finished on Sat afternoon. It was very easy to build but it helps having a drill press and pipe threading machine. Now I am just waiting for the concrete to cure and hopefully I will have it up tomorrow night.

I saw Walter and Jackie at Light Up Ohio back in May and was quite impressed with the JUMP pole :) I just finished building mine last weekend and had an idea to make it easier. I've already been in contact with Walter and he's planning on including it in future presentations. :)

On the Portable hole, he'd suggested using stakes, Rebar and electrical tape (you know, that 99 cent a roll stuff <g>) to hold the 2" pipe solid until the concrete set up enough to hold it. I did mine a little differently. I cut a section of 3/4 inch plywood to fit the outside dimensions of the 2x10 form, then nailed it solidly to the form. I then took a 1-1/2 inch pipe flange, a 1-1/2 inch close coupling, a 1-1/2 to 2" reducer, a 6" pice of 2" pipe and a 2" coupling, assembled them in that order and bolted the flange to the plywood in the exact center of the form. That eliminated the need for the posts, rebar and save a couple rolls of that tape :) Turns out that combination allows exactly 1" of the coupling to extent above the concrete, wich is just perfect :)

-Gary-

Gary, where did you find your 1.5 to 2 inch reducer? Went to 2 of the big box stores and they only have f/m bushings which would require another 2 inch coupler. Not a big issue since I could use a 5" section of 2" to adjust for the additional height. Just wondering. Need to find a plumbing supply store I think. Also took a lot of reducing bushings to get from 2" pipe down to the 1/2 of the topper connector

Scott

how portable is that hole, it looks pretty heavy, good idea though.

The fact that you "can" move it and by utilizing it, along with the proper tie downs you don't need ANY guy wires it is VERY useful. I have had a Mega Tree for two years and placed it in a different location each time. I'm not sure if I will keep it in the same location in 2010 as in 2009, so I am not a big fan of burying pipes or footings.

I have met the Monkhouse's and unfortunately did not get my JUMP built for this year, but you can bet your bottom dollar that by Christmas 2010 I will have a portable hole and a 20+ foot JUMP Pole.

My Mega Tree this year was 20 feet of 3/4 inch galvanized pipe and I tested ALL the lights before raising it. After raising it and getting the guy wires in place I plugged in the lights and one single string out of 64 was out. A bad connection occured at the top of the tree, AFTER I tested all the strings. Since the bad connection was 20 feet in the air, I couldn't do ANY maintenance. I only have a 10 foot ladder and the longest available 'A' frame ladder was 14 foot. With the JUMP I could have easily lowered the tree and fix the problem, as it was, I went the whole season with 1 string out from the first night. NOT NEXT YEAR!

THANK YOU Walter and Jackie!!! It FINALLY soaked in that I MUST HAVE the JUMP.

I am missing something... can't understand what you do after the thrown of the jack is extended. How is it anchored and then continue? Just a mental block... - Dan

From what i remember you put the pin in the next hole and lower the jack and start the process all over again until you reach the top. i saw Walter and Jackie demonstrate it last year....I might be a little foggy.

I've looked over the pictures and the plans several times. I'm still missing something. I get the basic concept, but it's just not clicking. If anyone could post a quick video of it being jacked up (or down) I'd forever be in your debt.