Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Guest Lightzilla

Is this true?

Guest Lightzilla

I read a couple stories while looking for a certain Christmas Light manufacture that I didn't find.

The stories were about Christmas Lights being made by Chinese Christians who were imprisoned for there faith in Jesus Christ and for sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. If there quota of 5000 were not meet before days end they were beaten then sent back to finish the job.....sometimes getting no sleep.

Do these pastors and followers of Christ want people to stop buying Chinese Christmas Lights? No, they hope it reminds people to pray for them and there families.....and help take care of their families.

Are these stories true or bogus? You can read them for yourself.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/calltoaction/archives/157408.asp

http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/swank/071223

I'd go with bogus. Especially since both "articles" end by asking for money.

But if everything was crimped by teeth, that would explain the poor quality on some sets...

China is predominately Buddhists; however, Christianity is allowed in China and is growing. The problem with Christianity in China is that it can only be practiced in state controlled churches, as China is a communist’s country (so it must be “government authorized”). Those who refuse to practice Christianity under the communist government can be arrested, especially the pastors, ministers, priests, etc. As far as being tortured, this may have occurred many, many, many years ago, but in today’s society, I’m not sure it still goes on.

So I believe there is some truth in the articles, only embellished. As far as the making of Christmas lights, I’m sure the workers are under paid and overworked as compared to our standards, but I doubt it has to do with their religious beliefs. I also image they have whatever they need to make the lights, for it would be against the communists practice not to have the necessary equipment – everyone should be equal.

Edited by B_Regal78

From a manufacturing stand point, odds are they do it as fast and efficient as possible which would be with a machine. Manufacturing efficiency overseas is leaps and bounds above the US. We are still playing catch up from the 50's.

Plus, there is too much variation involved when you use human strengths.

As a pastor/preacher I subscribe to an online site for sermon illustrations. One in particular is operated by one of the biggest Christian magizines out there. About 6 years ago, I found a similar story on that site. I have confidence in that magazine and its editors.

Unless I read it from a reputable news source, I tend to be skeptical. "reputable news sources" include nationally-recognizable newspapers, news networks, etc. Lots of lesser-known and niche magazines/sites/etc. might have good intentions, but don't always have the budgets to check into these things. For example, Dear Abby over the years has spread more (untrue) urban myths than just about anyone...

I had a friend who worked for a company who did much of they're manufacturing in China. He was regularly dispatched there to check up on things. I'm guessing the US light vendors are no different -- they need to make sure their standards are being met...

Another thing to think about is that this would make a pretty "good" news story/headine. I can hear Brian Williams booming it out: "Christmas lights might cause a lot of joy to people here in America, but wait until you see what NBC News found out about how they're made..." If this is true, why are no mainstream news organizations reporting it?

I'm not saying this isn't true. I would just want more proof than someone's blog...

-Tim

Guest Lightzilla

I'm not saying this isn't true. I would just want more proof than someone's blog... -Tim

Yes I understand what your saying.....I am going to ask a few missionaries that are or have been to China and see what they have to say.

I may even contact some mission boards and ask. Hopefully all I need to do is name a few well known preachers I know and I should get some answers......the preachers can confirm me.

As far as new papers go......they care very little about what happens to Blood wash saints of Jesus Christ......especially in Canada......they would rather tare bible Christianity down than pick it up. Here newspapers are not trust worthy that you can count on.

P.S. even if this is true they still want us to buy the lights.

I read a couple stories while looking for a certain Christmas Light manufacture that I didn't find.

The stories were about Christmas Lights being made by Chinese Christians who were imprisoned for there faith in Jesus Christ and for sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. If there quota of 5000 were not meet before days end they were beaten then sent back to finish the job.....sometimes getting no sleep.

Do these pastors and followers of Christ want people to stop buying Chinese Christmas Lights? No, they hope it reminds people to pray for them and there families.....and help take care of their families.

Are these stories true or bogus? You can read them for yourself.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/calltoaction/archives/157408.asp

http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/swank/071223

I have been to China. Most of it is true. But you must be sure you get accurate accounts. To worship in a Christian church it must be state sponsored.

These people are paid by the piece for all the simple products they make. Poverty level at best.

Just remeber where these people were at in the 60's and 70's. They are struggleing meet those kind of financial progress right now.

Vietnam, Burma, and Mylasia are the new "China"

I say it's far fetched...

I know Tim from buyinflatables goes to China to tour the facilities that make his inflatables and they are comparable to US factories.

I think if this were true it would crossover to any type of Christmas decoration not just lights.

Plus wouldn't the light strings be not uniform if they were being assembled using teeth...maybe have bite marks...