Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Haydenp

LED power calculator

I've been searching for a spreadsheet that helps calculate amp requirements for LED lights, so far all I have found are a few broken links. Anybody have a favorite calculator they use?

thanks.

Paul

I'm looking for one as well. Just as an estimate of how much power my LED's will draw as well as my incandescents.

If anyone has a calculator for both regualr and LED I would appreciate it.

I'm trying to figure out my electrical upgrade for 2009 and want to see what circuit(s) to dedicate to LED's and how many circuits to make for regulars. ALSO, to see if it would be worth it to re-sire my twig trees and wire frame deer with LED's this year or get LED's. I haven't even used the trees or deer, they are new for 2009 for my display.

THANKS

I have found the best way to track the power required is to have a Kill-A-Watt or clamp meter. Test the string live, document it in a spread sheet. Quartz Hill Christmas has a great spread sheet for LOR and will support currently up to 25 controllers. I have used this for the past 4 years and have been fine.

I check that site and, yeah, it is broken. PM me if you are interested in that version. I have an example and a blank.

I'm looking for one as well. Just as an estimate of how much power my LED's will draw as well as my incandescents.

If anyone has a calculator for both regualr and LED I would appreciate it.

I'm trying to figure out my electrical upgrade for 2009 and want to see what circuit(s) to dedicate to LED's and how many circuits to make for regulars. ALSO, to see if it would be worth it to re-sire my twig trees and wire frame deer with LED's this year or get LED's. I haven't even used the trees or deer, they are new for 2009 for my display.

THANKS

Edited by zman

i could use that one, if you got a blank one, so i don't have to edit the one i got. pm sent thanks

I have found the best way to track the power required is to have a Kill-A-Watt or clamp meter. Test the string live, document it in a spread sheet. Quartz Hill Christmas has a great spread sheet for LOR and will support currently up to 25 controllers. I have used this for the past 4 years and have been fine.

I check that site and, yeah, it is broken. PM me if you are interested in that version. I have an example and a blank.

I don't have my LED's yet, and was trying to estimate my needs. I need to change my electrical for next year, and wanted to make sure I have enough power without putting in too much. Fromt eh sheet I got from Travis, I'm not even goign to hit 10amps with my LED's and what little regular light I'l be using. Basically cutting my useage by 60-70%.

I would appreciate the spreadsheet as well. I'll send you a PM.

Just curious, but why does everyone need this calculator. I ran over 625 strings of LED lights in an animated display. That's over 44,000 lights, and if I turned them all on at once, I would draw just over 20 amps. Since only a third of them are on at any one time, I would guess I’m using somewhere around 7 amps, give or take an amp. Needless to say, I was not worried about power like I had been in the past (with incandescent lighting that is). I think you can plug just over 40 strings end to end (according to the directions on the box) and I do not get anywhere near that number. With LEDs, I have no real power concerns at all until I put a Bob Cox display, but by then, all of my neighbors would have run me out of town…

Edited by B_Regal78

mainly because I'm working with a local group who wants to decorate a whole park, which may or may not have enough power in certain areas, I'd rather not guess.