Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Carrie Sansing

Craigs List and Ebay

Did he say if he would separate or does it have to be the whole thing? I’d like to run down there on my day off and look at everything but no way I’d buy the whole lot. Especially for 15k. 

11 hours ago, Maroonz28 said:

Did he say if he would separate or does it have to be the whole thing? I’d like to run down there on my day off and look at everything but no way I’d buy the whole lot. Especially for 15k. 

My friend, who actually talked to the guy,  said it was an 'all or nothing' thing.  The guys pricing is figuring there are 1000 blowmolds, and that they must be worth 15$ each....thus 15000$.

Sure, some of them would sell for more than 15$...but there  appear to be quite a few candles, and theres no way people will pay 15$ per candle. Not only that, there appear to be quite a few commons, and i know from experience that its not guaranteed you will get 15$ for a common, especially if its buggered up a little bit. Not to mention the broken which wont sell for more than a buck (for the bulb plate) and faded which  are tougher to sell. When selling a large lot like this...where the seller expects the buyer to take everything, then the seller should be giving a volume discount. 

If it were me, id spend a few days separating them into dollar groups. These are $40, these are 35$, these are $25 and so on. Take pics, run a new ad. People will be beating down your door. It will take a few weekends of having people come over in shifts. Eventually the sales will slow as the inventory becomes picked over. At that point...after youve maximized the full dollar potential, you put a very reasonable price on what remains of the lot.  When i sold my blowmolds, it got to a point where no one wanted the common scuffed and faded blowmolds, the last 10% or so, so i kept them and thats what i use for my display today.  So, the person who comes out with a truck and buys that last lot of 100 blowmolds from this guy... is basically doing him a favor in cleaning up his property and the guy is getting paid to boot.

Do you think there's more blow molds in those large boxes?   I would love to know how this person acquired all of them.  Maybe people knew he liked blow molds and over the years others kept dropping them off at the house???   

On 1/11/2018 at 12:44 PM, Scrooge said:

My friend, who actually talked to the guy,  said it was an 'all or nothing' thing.  The guys pricing is figuring there are 1000 blowmolds, and that they must be worth 15$ each....thus 15000$.

Sure, some of them would sell for more than 15$...but there  appear to be quite a few candles, and theres no way people will pay 15$ per candle. Not only that, there appear to be quite a few commons, and i know from experience that its not guaranteed you will get 15$ for a common, especially if its buggered up a little bit. Not to mention the broken which wont sell for more than a buck (for the bulb plate) and faded which  are tougher to sell. When selling a large lot like this...where the seller expects the buyer to take everything, then the seller should be giving a volume discount. 

If it were me, id spend a few days separating them into dollar groups. These are $40, these are 35$, these are $25 and so on. Take pics, run a new ad. People will be beating down your door. It will take a few weekends of having people come over in shifts. Eventually the sales will slow as the inventory becomes picked over. At that point...after youve maximized the full dollar potential, you put a very reasonable price on what remains of the lot.  When i sold my blowmolds, it got to a point where no one wanted the common scuffed and faded blowmolds, the last 10% or so, so i kept them and thats what i use for my display today.  So, the person who comes out with a truck and buys that last lot of 100 blowmolds from this guy... is basically doing him a favor in cleaning up his property and the guy is getting paid to boot.

Totally agree. I’d pay 30, 40, or 50 dollars for certain blow molds but not taking all or nothing. Seems like he just wants someone to get it off his hands and take it all but for the right price. If you find out more, or they cave in and allow people to buy separate, let me know. I"ll take a ride down there and spend a bit of money. 

It might be my imagination, but it looks like the pool is the dumping ground for broken stuff, and I counted more than 200 pieces in there. Value? nearly zero.

I see a LOT of stuff that's really faded, and stuff that is missing cords and bulb plates. Value? very little.

If this was closer, I'd take a ride to see it, but the seller would have to revise his pricing to be realistic. For me, if he gets $5k, he should be grateful.

7 hours ago, donna123 said:

Do you think there's more blow molds in those large boxes?   I would love to know how this person acquired all of them.  Maybe people knew he liked blow molds and over the years others kept dropping them off at the house???   

Donna, I know who the seller is and he started out small like the rest of us and spent a lot of money through the years acquiring the blow molds from eBay, Craigslist, yard sales, etc.  He was a PC member in the"good old days" and very active here.  He even bought some of the TPI blow molds from me about 10 years ago when we we were selling them on eBay and paid shipping for them from here in Washington state to Minnesota.  He was a collector and did/does a display for the holidays, to my knowledge he was not a buyer and re-seller like so many are today, he loved the blow molds.  I never met him personally but always respected him and his interest in the blow molds during the years that we communicated.

Yes, there are blow molds in some of the boxes.

Mel

• Like 1

For as many that are in bad shape, I see many that look good...and harder to find!  And imagine how many you don’t see in the pics and just what could be in those boxes.  I gotta think if someone went to his house and talked to him he would sell some in pieces.  I would try if inkiv d near there!

Brian, I just noticed in your signature that you are back in PA again and have been for a few years.  Are you keeping warm this winter?

Mel

6 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Brian, I just noticed in your signature that you are back in PA again and have been for a few years.  Are you keeping warm this winter?

Mel

Hi Mel,

Yes, due to some health issues with my wife, we elected to move back in 2015.  Actually did the big dislplay this year.  Shame on me for not posting pictures.  Ironically since moving back, I am seeing it more difficult and costly to find blow molds at yard sales and such like I used to pre 2006.  The profit makes have caught on.  Thanks for asking.

Maybe I’ll head down there soon with cash in hand and tell him I want to spend the money here but it’s not all or nothing. Only a little over an hour away so maybe I can pester him to separate. 

I know he was offered $5000 cash for 300 molds and he turned it down if that helps anyone that is thinking of making him a offer, he is stuck on selling all of it at one time for the $15,000

I understand where he is coming from, the end pieces would be the hard ones as everything would be picked over. Mel is right, that ALOT of money WAS spent previously,throughout the years. Now they are faded,cracked,weathered, he should take into account also. Molds are a hobby, NOT an investment. Unless you plan on making them, ONLY a hobby. IMO, 15k is a FAR cry on real time value. It would be interesting to what they go for amd let's hope someone on PC gets them.

1 hour ago, Big J Illinois said:

I understand where he is coming from, the end pieces would be the hard ones as everything would be picked over. Mel is right, that ALOT of money WAS spent previously,throughout the years. Now they are faded,cracked,weathered, he should take into account also. Molds are a hobby, NOT an investment. Unless you plan on making them, ONLY a hobby. IMO, 15k is a FAR cry on real time value. It would be interesting to what they go for amd let's hope someone on PC gets them.

I would be so bold as to say after all the tires have been kicked and no takers, he will listen to offers. In the above post where 5k was offered, he might rethink taking that offer once he sees that 15k is a bit too steep. But Im with Big J, I hope someone follows his posts and keeps us updated. It will be interesting to see if he gets a 15k taker or not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donna123 said:

Here's a Mold Craft collection for sale.  You don't see this very often.  

image.png

image.png

The winning bid was $2200.00

Here is another awesome, rarely seen set on ebay.  I have this set and it is one of my favorites.  

image.png

image.png

Edited by donna123