Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
sniggle

Post up all you New Yorkers!

Welcome to PC, cm11599ps. Where are you from?

BTW, gsxr7500, I know I told you already but your display looks awesome.

The kids make me drive them and their friends by your house everytime we are in the car at night.

-Jim

Welcome to PC, cm11599ps. Where are you from?

BTW, gsxr7500, I know I told you already but your display looks awesome.

The kids make me drive them and their friends by your house everytime we are in the car at night.

-Jim

Thank you, thank you. I'm actually right around the corner from gsxr7500. We're in Port Jeff Station, right on the other side of Old Town.

Guess I better jump on and check in here as well.

Located up right in the middle of the Adirondack Park. Hope all of you have a safe and prosperous New Year.

Bill

Well happy new year to all you new yorkers now get up bundle up and take you stuff down. I thankfully I have some helping this year im going to try and get as much done today and tomorrow before the snow comes again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I will chime in too. I am Peggy from Watertown, NY. I didn't see to many people from around there without at least an hour drive.

I am also a newbie, so don't be surprised if I have some off the wall questions.

My new discover of this morning reading the forums..., I have alot to learn about lights in general. LED's I mean. Sizes and what not. :rolleyes: My head might explode with all this knowledge.

Welcome whit07 and xmaslady. You will find tons of info here and a lot of great people. I would bet most of your questions have been answered many times on the board. My suggestion is to read read read. When I started on PC I read for days and learned all I could. If you still have questions, ask away. We all will try to help.

Start planning now for next year. It creeps up on you fast!

Scott

Next year, luckily, is just about all planned for me. I am just using a 6 channel Gemmy. I am auditioning music while I am at work. I keep it low, my boss doesn't care to listen to Christmas music, expect for between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I will just be hooking up this years static display to the Gemmy and make it a little more interesting.

I am actually planning for 2010. I would like to have by then the 16 channel LOR. Limited funds are not helping me right now. I want to do it all...NOW!!! But I will babystep it.

Babysteps are good. It has taken us about 10 years to accumulate the stuff we have although about half has been over the last three. We were supposed to have our display animated this year but ran out of time and money. We hope to be animated this year though. I ran my first ever sequence once before we took down our mega tree.

Scott

So it isn't unusual to have christmas lights blinking to music in the back yard in the middle of summer? I don't want to pack away the Gemmy in the attic with everything else. I want it and six sets of light left out so I can try it out with music. My hubby just rolls his eyes and leaves the room.

He does help a little with Christmas, he actually put up my icicle light this year and in October. We hang them up in middle of october because the warm weather helps them to relax, so they don't look so crinkled. They seem to hang straighter.

Some day, the grinch in him will leave!

Something a little funny. I was watched so many light shows in the last couple days, a lot playing the same music, my soon to be 5 year old, has learned some of the tunes, like Wizards in Winter and the such.

Nope, not weird at all. I am making a mini version of my display to help me program. I may even do a Christmas in July display to iron some things out.

My Neighbors have come to expect misc. Christmas display items to be "tested" throughout the summer. You should have seen their faces the first time I put up a snow globe in August for a test run. It says "Let it Snow" on the front too! LOL!

We start with roof lights a day or two after Halloween. We tear down Halloween on Nov. 1st and then get right to our roof lights and putting in out temporary lawn circuits. The rest of the display has traditionally gone up the Sat. after Thanksgiving but it's starting to take longer to set-up now. We have decided to start a week earlier in 2009.

Scott

The only reason why I put my display at the beginning of November is because out of the 3 years I have lived here, we have had snow before Halloween for 2 of those years. I get nervous with snow and electricity, but getting better.

I will take that picture tonight. I will help me plan. I don't get much control with the Gemmy, that is why it will not be lasting long and I am moving to LOR, but for $17.00 it was/is a good beginning.

Hi everyone,

Second day on this site and my brains hurts from all the info. I have been on my computer for12 hours tuesday and 9 hours today. I am located in Newfane, New York. Its near Lake Ontario, and northeast of Niagara Falls.This year I had cars lined up blocking the flow of traffic. This was my biggest year. I would like to computerize but my wife doesn't want alot of flashing. I am currently using a 6 channel box from Home Depot. Picked up 4 more after Christmas at Sears for $15.00 each. I will be using a whole bunch of your ideas, so keep posting them.

Steve

Hello again,

I said that I would take a picture of my static display to show you all and here they are.

I have bought five linked 18" spiral trees to add to this. They will most likely get buried in the snow we get. Speaking of snow, how about 8" to 12" just tonight and more tomorrow.

The first picture is from across the street, and the next one is better. You can actually see what is in the yard.

Oh, there is a light garland on the fence, but the wind blew it to the backside, yet again.

Hello all New Yorkers. I am from Hyde Park in Dutchess Co I have been on PC for a few years but have never posted. I was happy to see the thread for New Yorkers.

OK, whats with the snow. I know we live in New York, but come on!! We got 12" today. Can we fill in Lakes Ontario and Erie!!??

Tis the season!

We got between 5-6" with a lovely 1/4" layer of ice on top. I fully expect storms until early March and then a "Last Hurrah" storm in late March or early April.

I am not fond of snow but it's better than earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, etc.

WOW!!! 42 degrees today. Now they say its going to snow 8 of the next 10 days!!!

No snow today, temp reached 36!!:D

OK, whats with the snow. I know we live in New York, but come on!! We got 12" today. Can we fill in Lakes Ontario and Erie!!??

I think yesterday and today were to first two days in a very long time we didn't get snow. Had to rake the roof again. Still can't find the Christmas decorations on the front lawn.

This is New York for you...two days of nice weather and today I am SICK!!! Slept in front of the woodstove for most of the day.

It's looking like we are going to *finally* have a few days above freezing this weekend into next week. If we can get the snow and ice to melt off the roof, I may be able to get all our C7s down... woot.gifwoot.gif

-Jeff