Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
mira

A Christmas Enthusiast Prayer

Thanks Kim!

It's beem a real joy getting to know you too. Thank goodness for free long distance! :giggle: That is what is so neat about this community and others like it is that they do become our second family. And often more accepting that our real families. I think back to PLUS 2007. There were so many people from different walks of life, but EVERYONE was firendly and accepting of everyone else.

I am humbled buy the response to the prayer. I wrote from my heart never expecting to see it on so many PCer's websites and in some displays. Kevin (aka The Demented Elf) makes it sound awesome!

Love in CHRISTmas,

Mira

Question is - can you write another for us to use next year - so I can two? It was probably the one single thing that kept me "grounded" when talking to others about last year's show...

Well All,

You cannot meet any better people than Chuck and Mira. They have been there for me every step of the way as a newbie to LOR. At this point i am sure that Mira is on nerve pills and Chuck probably has no hair left after pulling it all out teaching me all the ropes.

I have been very blessed that God brought us all together to share this wonderful display of our faith.

And i will absolutely have her prayer in my display also.

Thanks Mira for making my display complete.

Your Best Friend,

Kim

Welcome to PC Kim!:D

Next installment. Please forgive me if I have steped on some toes this time. B Reagal78 I read your request before I left for work this morning at 4:00 a.m. Thought about it all morning and put it tigether at lunch.

Mira

A Christmas Decorators Prayer

As I plan and build my Christmas display, Lord help me keep balance in my life. Please do not allow me to get so involved in my hobby that I don’t attend to the needs of my spouse, my children, the rest of my family, my vocation and most of all worshiping You. Never let me forget my friends. And Lord, I pray for understanding form those who love me about my love for the Christmas season. Please remind to keep my finances in perspective when it comes to my display. Lord please keep my pride in check. And Lord, someday when I meet you face to face, may I hear you say:

“Well done My good and faithful servant, when you did for those in your life you did it also unto Me.”

Plese feel free to use it and edit it meet the relationships in your life. God bless all my "second" family haer at PC.

Mira

Edited by mira

Next installment. Please forgive me if I have steped on some toes this time. B Reagal78 I read your request before I left for work this morning at 4:00 a.m. Thought about it all morning an put it tigether at lunch.

Mira

As I plan and build my Christmas display, Lord help me keep balance in my life. Please do not allow me to get so involved in my hobby that I don

What a great prayer. But it really is something we should pray everyday. Again Great Job!!!:)

I agree. That's not just a "Christmas Time" prayer, but actually more needed on the "off" season... Excellent job - again...

Chuck my husband read the prayer and found a couple of mistakes. I used spell check in Word but when you spell the word correctly but use the wrong word spell check doesn't help. :( So here is an update. Sorry.

As I plan and build my Christmas display, Lord help me keep balance in my life. Please do not allow me to get so involved in my hobby that I don’t attend to the needs of my spouse, my children, the rest of my family, my vocation and most of all worshiping You. Never let me forget my friends. And Lord, I pray for understanding, from those who love me, about my love for the Christmas season. Please remind me to keep my finances in perspective when it comes to my display. Lord please keep my pride in check. And Lord, someday when I meet you face to face, may I hear you say:

“Well done My good and faithful servant, when you did for those in your life you did it also unto Me.”

Edited by mira

Guest Lightzilla

Please remind me to keep my finances in perspective when it comes to my display. Lord please keep my pride in check.

I been on other Christmas forums and "Pride Rules" with some folks....the focus seems to be on them more than Christ.

Then I thought I better look inside my own "heart" and you know this old flesh of mine was rearing its selfs up.......yes sir my display was heading in a direction leading away from Christ

and with the adding of the Ferris Wheel last year and a few other things.....I was getting the praise and my manger scene was over shadowed by the Ferris wheel, inflatables, other things and the interactive part of the display.

Also such sequences as "Wise Men Still Seek Him", and "Christmas with a Capital C"....thinking hey at least people will hear some kind of message....well these two songs cleared the street very fast.....as soon as the songs were done those same cars came back again. This happened a few times.

This time the manger scene will be front and center up on the front porch along with the angel. I well keep playing those songs even if folks leave....at least Christ well be respected.

.....I was getting the praise and my manger scene was over shadowed by the Ferris wheel, inflatables, other things and the interactive part of the display.

Also such sequences as "Wise Men Still Seek Him", and "Christmas with a Capital C"....thinking hey at least people will hear some kind of message....well these two songs cleared the street very fast.....

I've said it before, and here it is again - Mira's original poem is what kept me "grounded." This past year, I converted everything to LED, added 20,000 lights, arches, and vertical poles. I also doulbed the number of chasing trees. And all of this required more channels (obviously). It's easy to forget the meaning of Christmas with all of the sequencing and blinking lights, stuff we make, inflatables, blowmolds, etc. It's easy for you to acccept the praise from others and become overly prideful. That poem (Mira's) that I had the Elf make for me (and apparently others used it too) kept me thinking straight.

As for the display, we went more faith-based than in previous years and we do have the manger in the very front. But still, with the house in the background, it's easily over-shadowed. And we also did Christmas with a Capital C and a few other faith-based songs; however, we really did not have anyone leave when that was playing. In fact, those that were looking found the Christmas spirit and those who weren't missed it. I can say this though, while there may have been cars which did drive away, there was a significant more that stayed than in past years, and as an overall assessment, it (our faith-based display) was well received.

I think you can hit people over the head with the meaning of Christmas and some will still not get it. All we do is put the word out, through our manger scene, through some of our songs, and through some of our voice-overs. I believe that's all any of us can do. People will see it and hear it if they want too, and it won't be over shadowed by a ferris wheel.

This coming year, I'm half-temped to move my display to our church. It does present some problems though - but it is one thing in the back of my head. If anyting, I thought of using one or two of my controllers over there (the church). We'll have to see. Our church is not the traditional bunch and they are very "forward" thinking when it comes to spreading the Word.

Edited by B_Regal78

As a minister and someone who trains people for ministry and who is new to Christmas lighting, this is wonderful. God, give us more ladies like this.

:santasmileyitty:

QUOTE=thompsol: As a minister and someone who trains people for ministry and who is new to Christmas lighting, this is wonderful. God, give us more ladies like this.

:santasmileyitty:

Thank you Thompsol! I enjoyed writing it for my PC family to use in their displays. Welcome to the wonderful world of Christmas lighting!

Mira

I posted a note earlier today complaining that I did all this work and spent all this $ and had virtually no traffic at the house. Now that I've read your prayers, I need to do some serious repenting. I guess I was letting my pride get in the way. Thank you for convicting me of this and helping me regain some spiritual perspective. As a preacher, I need a pastor too and you have been one to me.

Dr. Leroy

I've said it before, and here it is again - Mira's original poem is what kept me "grounded." This past year, I converted everything to LED, added 20,000 lights, arches, and vertical poles. I also doulbed the number of chasing trees. And all of this required more channels (obviously). It's easy to forget the meaning of Christmas with all of the sequencing and blinking lights, stuff we make, inflatables, blowmolds, etc. It's easy for you to acccept the praise from others and become overly prideful. That poem (Mira's) that I had the Elf make for me (and apparently others used it too) kept me thinking straight.

As for the display, we went more faith-based than in previous years and we do have the manger in the very front. But still, with the house in the background, it's easily over-shadowed. And we also did Christmas with a Capital C and a few other faith-based songs; however, we really did not have anyone leave when that was playing. In fact, those that were looking found the Christmas spirit and those who weren't missed it. I can say this though, while there may have been cars which did drive away, there was a significant more that stayed than in past years, and as an overall assessment, it (our faith-based display) was well received.

I think you can hit people over the head with the meaning of Christmas and some will still not get it. All we do is put the word out, through our manger scene, through some of our songs, and through some of our voice-overs. I believe that's all any of us can do. People will see it and hear it if they want too, and it won't be over shadowed by a ferris wheel.

This coming year, I'm half-temped to move my display to our church. It does present some problems though - but it is one thing in the back of my head. If anyting, I thought of using one or two of my controllers over there (the church). We'll have to see. Our church is not the traditional bunch and they are very "forward" thinking when it comes to spreading the Word.

B

I understand what you're saying about moving some of your display to the church but here's another perspective. I think you have more impact if you display is not on the church grounds. People expect faith-based stuff at a church building but you are soing true evangelistic/missions work. We are called to be the light of the world ad putting your light out into your neighborhood is exactly that. GOd will honor whatever you do but this was just a thought from an old preacher.

QUOTE: thompsol

"I posted a note earlier today complaining that I did all this work and spent all this $ and had virtually no traffic at the house. Now that I've read your prayers, I need to do some serious repenting. I guess I was letting my pride get in the way. Thank you for convicting me of this and helping me regain some spiritual perspective. As a preacher, I need a pastor too and you have been one to me."

Dr. Leroy,

Don't be diapointed if this is your first year. As you are a preacher you know that you plant the seed that somone else may "harvest." Give your display time to grow. Remember why you do it. To share your joy in the greatest gift ever given to mankind. This is our fourth year of getting back into doing an animated dispaly. We still don't have a large amount of traffic. But when we had a young father pull up during set up and tell us he was glad to see us putting it because his kids really enjoyed last year, thats what matters.

Mira

Mira:

Thanks for your words of encouragement and your reminder of why we do this.

Leroy

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on PC much here latley. Life has bee busy. Becoming a grandma a year ago really changed my life! I enjoyed re-reading the posts in this tread again. I hope I can meet some of you in Gatlinburg in two weeks.

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on PC much here latley. Life has bee busy. Becoming a grandma a year ago really changed my life! I enjoyed re-reading the posts in this tread again. I hope I can meet some of you in Gatlinburg in two weeks.

Mira, Welcome back. My family and I will be at the Expo. Turning it into a family vacation. Looing forward to meeting you.

Mira, Welcome back. My family and I will be at the Expo. Turning it into a family vacation. Looing forward to meeting you.

Hey Kevin, are you going to be a vendor there or just relaxin???